Heres a sweet little pic of the day from Port Waikato.
Discover a hidden gem of New Zealand just an hour south of Auckland - Port Waikato. Stroll along the sublime beaches, surf some good waves, tramp the dunes, or just enjoy the laid back atmosphere of this seaside township.
The 'Port', as the locals call it, is a magical place where you can experience true Kiwiana. The pace of life is a bit slower and relaxed and beauty of New Zealand natures abounds all around. Whether its the majestic sand dunes, the mighty Waikato river which flows into the Tasman Sea, the impressive surf on Sunset Beach or the otherwordly limestone landscapes in the hinterland - there is always something beautiful to discover at Port Waikato.
Taken from: Port Waikato
Surfing is the most popular thing in Port Waikato, but it's also a great place to go to bike and kayak. If you're interested to come, here are some good places to stay:
Port Waikato Accomodation
Below are some of the fantastic places if you'd like to escape to Port Waikato for a spell:
Waikatoa Surf Lodge
* Small, friendly and relaxed.
* Enjoy modern facilites with great indoor/outdoor living
area. BBQ facilites.
* Two minutes walk to surf beach, and spectacular sunsets
* The best fish and chips.
* Superb surfing
* Coastal Walks
* Fishing, kayaking, mountain biking (equipment available)
* The Lord of the Rings - 'Weathertop Hollow' - Film location at Port Waikato
Click on the following link to visit the Waikatoa Surf Lodge
Westside Bed and Breakfast
* Private self-contained unit
* Twin or King sized bed
* Television, radio, CD player, SKY television, microwave
* Electric fry pan and cooking facilities
* Guest surf-casting fishing rods
* Continental Breakfast
* Plenty of space to park your boat
Take a walk around the rocks to the seal colony and check out some fossils - Port Waikato is renowned for its fossils. 3ha park-like grounds - quiet & secluded family camp. Caravan & tent sites, tourist cabins, kitchen cabins, motel units, onsite caravans, campervan sites. TV lounge, equipped kitchen, fridge/freezer, microwave, games room, internet/email access, photocopying, fax, barbecue, spacious grounds, boat ramp